W4 Tax Form

2014 IRS W4 Tax Form:

Complete a W4 Tax Form every year to submit to your employer so your employer will withhold an appropriate amount of federal income tax from your pay check.

It's important to at least consider submitting a W 4 Tax Form each year because your financial situation or the number of dependants you have may change from year to year.

Special Exception: First read Line 7 and if you are in fact Exempt from having income Tax withheld from your pay, only enter your information on lines 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 of the Federal W4 Form and sign the form to validate it. Note: Your exemption for 2014 expires February 17, 2015.

Print as many W4 Forms as you like.

2014, 2013 & 2012
W 4 Tax Form

2014 IRS W4-Tax-Form
Instructions Included With Form
2013 IRS W4-Tax-Form
Instructions Included With Form
2012 IRS W4-Tax-Form
Instructions Included With Form

W4-Tax-Form Definitions

Head of Household: In most situations on your tax return, you would only claim "head of household" filing status if you are unmarried and pay more than 50% of the costs of keeping up a home for yourself and your dependents, or other qualifying individuals.

Tax Credits: When figuring the allowable number of withholding allowances, you can take projected tax credits into account. For example, credits for child/dependent care expenses and the child tax credit may be claimed using the Personal Allowances Worksheet.

Special Note: If your income exceeds $950 and includes more than $300 of unearned income (i.e.; interest and/or dividends), you can't claim exemption from withholding -- if another person can claim you as a dependent on his or her tax return.

Instructions: If you are not exempt, go ahead and complete the "Personal Allowances Worksheet," in the middle section of page 1 of the w4 Tax Form.

W 4 Tax Form

The worksheets on page 2 are where you can play around to further adjust your withholding allowances based on:

  • Itemized Deductions
  • Specific Credits
  • Adjustments To Income
  • Situations With Two Earners or Multiple Jobs

    Complete all worksheets that apply. While you can claim less or even zero allowances, for regular wages, withholding must be based on allowances you claimed and can't be a percentage of wages or flat amount.

    Nonwage income: If you have a large amount of nonwage income, such as interest or dividends, consider making estimated tax payments using
    Form 1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals. -- otherwise, you may owe additional tax.

    Multiple Jobs or Two Earners: If you have more than one job or if your spouse is working, it may be in your best interests to determine the total number of allowances you're entitled to claim on all jobs using worksheets from only one Federal W4 Form. Typically, your withholding is most accurate when you claim all allowances on the W 4 Tax Form for the highest paying job and zero allowances are claimed on the other W4 Forms.

    Doublecheck Your Withholding: Once your paychecks are reflecting your new W4 Tax Form changes, use Pub. 505 to see how the amount you are having withheld compares to your projected total tax for 2012. This is especially important if you earn over $130,000 as a single person or $180,000 if you're Married.

    Reason For Form W-4: You should complete the form so the correct amount of income tax is withheld from your paycheck and you should fill out and turn in another one every year or when your status changes.

    If you are "Exempt From Withholding:" Only fill out lines 1, 2, 3, 4, & 7 on the form and then sign it. Exemptions for 2013 expired on 02/17/14.

    Keep in mind that if your income is over $1000 or if it includes over $350 in dividends or interest, you can't claim exemption from withholding - if someone else claims you as a dependent on their return.

    Return from this page to Free Printable Tax Forms Page

    Return from W4-TAX-Form to Easy-TAX-Information Home Page

  • Lea este sitio web en español. Simplemente haga clic en el siguiente menú, seleccionar Español.

    Search This Site